EU IST Integrated Project "NeOn - Lifecycle Support for Networked Ontologies"
Duration: March 2006 - February 2010
funding programmeEU, Information Society Technologies (IST)
The objective of the NeOn project is to enable the usage and development of networked ontologies. Ontologies are formalized models of domain knowledge which can be understood by computers. Ontologies may e.g. contain the relevant terms of a domain, their properties and their relations among each other.
In the Semantic Web, ontologies become more and more networked and references are set between them which leada to relations between terms coming from different ontologies. Networked ontologies may e.g. be used for integrating large data repositories from different sources in order to allow for an efficient access. An example use case comes from the United Nations Food & Agriculture Organization (FAO) where information about fish stocks are collected from the member countries and finally integrated for building an overfishing alert system.
The networking of ontologies leads to a high complexity of the ontology development process because many stakeholders are participating in such projects. One focus of the ISWeb working group is an efficient support of the collaborative development process of ontologies. For this purpose, a Wiki extension was developed which helps to discuss design decisions in an efficient manner.
Another focus is the personalization of ontologies for certain users of an ontology. As a first step, we developed the SAIQL query language which can be used for describing personalized views on an existing OWL ontology.
Moreover, ISWeb develops technologies, which allow users to judge knowledge from distributed, networked ontologies regarding its credibility, provenance and currency.
- The Open University, Milton Keynes, UK
- Universität Karlsruhe (TH), Karlsruhe
- Universidad Politecnica de Madrid, Spain
- Software AG, Darmstadt
- Intelligent Software Components, S.A., Madrid, Spain
- Josef Stefan Institute, Llubjana, Slowenia
- INRIA, Grenoble, France
- University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK
- Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche, Trento/Rome, Italy
- Ontoprise GmbH, Karlsruhe, Germany
- pharmaInnova Cluster, Asociación Española de Comercio Electrónico, Spain
- United Nations Food & Agriculture Organization FAO, Rome, Italy
- Atos Origin, s.a.e.