The Master of Science in Web and Data Science teaches specialized knowledge for analysing data and for designing and developing Web and data-intensive systems. Germane to such development and analysis is the understanding of the Web and data ecosystems as being multi-faceted, governed by technologies, economics, and social interactions of humans, interest groups, companies and governments. The Master qualifies the graduate for independent, academic work, lays the foundations for further development of the subject area, and is the preparation/prerequisite for doctoral studies. It is a qualification for independent and responsible duties, and is characterised by the scientific basis, promotion of independence and judgement and decision-making ability and is close to research.
The programme has a strong focus on employability. This will prove useful whether you are entering the job market, want to fulfil executive position, want to progress from your current position, or looking for a career change. The course provides skills about how to;
collect and use relevant data to influence business decisions
develop web systems, Web strategies and Web and data ecosystems
provide insightful advices on strategic marketing
In general, the programme aims at persons with a bachelor’s degree or a minor in computer science. The Master of Science in Web and Data Science builds on competencies acquired in a preceding bachelor study programme, which is equivalent to computer science studies of type 1 (core computer science), type 2 (computer science with specific application subject) or type 3 (interdisciplinary study programme with a share in computer science education comparable to the weight of other subjects).
Objective of the curriculum
The objective of the curriculum is to achieve a foundational understanding of Web and data-intensive systems as being derived from techno-sociological interactions. For this purpose, the programme broadens and deepens competencies in designing and developing Web and data-intensive systems, in automated analysis of data in general and Web data (content, links and usage) in particular as well as the interaction of Web and data-intensive systems with legal constraints (e.g. digital rights), group processes (e.g. social network analysis), economic behaviour (e.g. marketing and online consumer behaviour) and political processes in the Web (eParticipation). The course of studies deepens the ability to formulate problems and to undertake the resulting tasks in working teams and promotes qualifications beyond the scope of studies. Furthermore, the aim is for graduates to perform duties independently and take on challenging tasks related to analysing data, generating a data narrative, developing an interactive Web presence and developing a Web and/or data strategy for companies and governments addressing the needs of customers and other end users.
Particular objectives of the curriculum are:
- Graduates have comprehensively internalised the concepts and competencies acquired with their Bachelor course of studies. Thus, beyond meeting the educational goals of their Bachelor studies for study-specific as well as general competencies, they have acquired an increased maturity and confidence in applying these concepts and competencies also to novel problem domains.
- They have deep knowledge about data analysis and visualization, the development of Web systems, Web strategies and the development of the Web and data ecosystems as wholes.
- They possess profoundness and broadness in order to work their way into future technologies in their own field as well as the periphery of their own area/field.
- They are able to successfully apply the acquired knowledge of Data Science and Web Science for the formulation and solution of complex problems in research and development in the public sector, in ICT industry or research institutions, and to critically question the acquired knowledge and if required to further develop it.
- They have acquired various technical and social skills, such as capacity to abstract, systems thinking, ability to communicate and work in teams, international and intercultural experience, that prepare them for managerial/executive functions.
- They have become familiar with academic work in fundamental research and fulfil the prerequisites for progressing on to a doctorate in their area of specialisation.
Tuition Fee and medium of instruction
The programme is free of tuition and the medium of instruction is English.
Graduates from the institute WeST have found interesting positions at successful companies, started their own businesses or continued towards a Ph.D.
Pursue Ph.D at WeST
Institute WeST has a limited number of places available each year for pursuing a Ph.D. If you excel earning a master's degree in Web and Data Science, you will be in pole position for continuing with doctoral studies.
Koblenz is one of the oldest and most attractive cities in Germany with its surroundings honoured as UNESCO World Cultural Heritage. The university of Koblenz-Landau has close contacts to leading companies in Koblenz and surroundings, offering possibilities for internships, collaboration and project experiences.