For technical reasons, it is still undefined when the application interface for "Master in Web and Data Science" can be opened. Applying from abroad is a lengthy process. Therefore, we strongly recommend that you apply for the Master in Web Science now and transfer into the Master in Web and Data Science when you arrive at the University of Koblenz-Landau. We will accept all requests to transfer from Master in Web Science into Master in Web and Data Science.
The Master of Science in Web and Data Science teaches specialized knowledge for analysing data and for designing and developing Web and data-intensive systems. Germane to such development and analysis is the understanding of the Web and data ecosystems as being multi-faceted, governed by technologies, economics, and social interactions of humans, interest groups, companies and governments. The Master prepares the graduate for independent academic work, lays the foundations for further achievements in the subject area, and lays the foundation for potential doctoral studies. It is a qualification for the ability to conduct complex tasks responsibly, with a focus on scientific soundness, intellectual independence, which are prerequisites for all kinds of research.
Including and apart from academic research, the program has a strong focus on employability. Whether you are entering the job market, want to fulfil executive position, want to progress from your current position, or looking for a career change, the course provides skills about how to:
collect and use relevant data to influence business decisions
develop Web systems, Web strategies and Web and data ecosystems
provide substantial practice for strategic communication via data science
The program is offered to persons with a bachelor’s degree or a minor in computer science. The Master of Science in Web and Data Science requires competencies acquired in a preceding bachelor study program, which is equivalent to computer science studies of type 1 (core computer science), type 2 (computer science with specific application subject) or type 3 (interdisciplinary study program with a share in computer science education comparable to the weight of other subjects).
The objective of the curriculum is to achieve a foundational understanding of Web and data-intensive systems and how they relate to techno-sociological interactions. For this purpose, the program broadens and deepens competencies in designing and developing Web and data-intensive systems and the automated analysis of Web data (content, links, and usage). Further, it focuses on the interaction of Web and data-intensive systems with legal constraints (e.g. digital rights), group processes (e.g. social network analysis), economic behaviour (e.g. marketing and online consumer behaviour) and political processes in the Web (eParticipation, democracy in a digital society). The course of studies nurtures the skill of formulating problems and to undertake the resulting tasks in working teams, which are qualifications beyond the scope of studies. We guide graduates to perform duties independently and take on challenging tasks related to analysing data, generating a data narrative, developing an interactive Web presence, and developing a Web and/or data strategy for companies and governments seeking to address the needs of customers, end users, and citizens.
Our curriculum strives to produce graduates who have:
- comprehensively internalised the concepts and competencies acquired with their studies. Beyond meeting the educational goals of their Bachelor studies for study-specific as well as general competencies, they have acquired an increased maturity and confidence in applying these concepts and competencies also to novel problem domains.
- deep knowledge about data analysis and visualization, the development of Web systems, Web strategies and the development of the Web and data ecosystems.
- acquired a profound and broad understanding of working with future technologies in their own field and beyond.
- successfully applied the acquired knowledge of Data Science and Web Science for the formulation and solution of complex problems, and are ready to continue in research and development for the public sector, ICT or research institutions, by critically questioning the acquired knowledge and develop it further, if required.
- gained various technical and social skills, such as the capacity to reason abstractly, systems thinking, ability to communicate and work in teams, and international and intercultural experience that prepare them for managerial/executive functions.
- become familiar with academic work in fundamental research and fulfil the prerequisites for progressing on to a doctorate in their area of specialisation.
Tuition Fee and medium of instruction
The program is free of tuition and the medium of instruction is English.
Graduates from the institute WeST have found interesting positions at successful companies, started their own businesses or continued towards a Ph.D.
Pursue your Ph.D at WeST
Institute WeST has a limited number of places available each year for pursuing a Ph.D. If you excel in earning a master's degree in Web and Data Science, you will be in pole position for continuing with doctoral studies.
Koblenz is one of the oldest and most attractive cities in Germany, with its landmarks having been honoured as UNESCO World Cultural Heritage. The University of Koblenz-Landau maintains close contacts to leading companies in Koblenz and nearby, offering possibilities for internships, collaboration and project experiences.