In a joint appointment procedure between GESIS Leibniz Institute for the Social Sciences and the Faculty 4: Computer Science at the University of Koblenz-Landau we are seeking to fill the following positions:
Team Leader "Data Science"
in the Computational Social Science (CSS) department at GESIS
Place of work is Cologne. The appointment is for three years initially, after a positive evaluation a tenured position is possible (after expiration of the joint appointment with remuneration according to TV-L).
The candidate will also be appointed as an
Assistant Professor (W1)
at the Faculty 4: Computer Science, Institute for Computer Science at the University of Koblenz- Landau in Koblenz
The candidate will be initially appointed for a term of three years as a civil servant, and have a leave of absence from the University of Koblenz- Landau for leading the Data Science team in the Computational Social Science department at GESIS in Cologne. An extension of the appointment for further 3 years is possible after a positive evaluation. The candidate will be required to teach 4 hours per week.
GESIS (www.gesis.org) provides basic, national and international research- based services for the social sciences. With its basic research, GESIS develops and improves social science research approaches and research tools. One of the central tasks of the "Computational Social Science" (CSS) department is the exploration of novel methods and algorithms for the analysis of social phenomena on the WWW, based on - for example - data from social media.
GESIS offers the following main responsibilities:
- Leading the Data Science team in the CSS department
- Planning, acquiring and executing research projects and
- Supervising doctoral students.
We look forward to receiving your application if you
- have a PhD in computer science or a related discipline,
- have an affinity for social science related problems,
- are recognized internationally via competitive publications in at least one of the following research areas: Computational Social Science, Web Science, Data Mining and/or Network Science,
- have first experience in leading teams and
- have achieved first success in the acquisition of third party funds from national and/or international funding programs.
Interdisciplinary post-doctoral experience in one or several of these areas and research stays abroad are beneficial.
GESIS and the University of Koblenz-Landau want to increase the number of women in leadership positions and strongly call for qualified women to apply. Compliance with the disabled guidelines and the regulations of the Law on part-time work is guaranteed. GESIS is certified since 2010 by "audit berufundfamilie".
For further information please contact Prof. Dr. Markus Strohmaier (firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com). Please apply with the usual documents by August 26th, 2015 here. The code of this tender is: CSS-14