MSc. Web Science
- Excellence in Teaching
- Important Dates
- Course Structure
- Living in Germany
You must fulfil several requirements in order to qualify for our Web Science programme. Please read this information carefully before applying or sending e-mails.
Higher Education Entrance Qualification
It is a legal requirement in Germany that students own a Higher education entrance qualification („Hochschulzugangsberechtigung“) respectively a Master entrance qualification („Masterzugangsberechtigung“), proven by school leaving certificates or studies completed at secondary education level.
Entrance qualification is not checked by us, but uni-assist (see application process), therefore please refrain from asking us if your diploma will be accepted. Uni-assist provides some further information on higher education entrance qualification.
Academic Background in Computer Science
You need some academic background in computer science, such as a
- bachelor's degree in computer science, business informatics, Computervisualistik (as offered by the University of Koblenz-Landau), Information management (as offered by the University of Koblenz-Landau until 2012 if 60 ECTS in computer science were acquired) or similar.
- Students with a minor in computer science (at least 60 European Credit Points) can apply, too. Here we have to make a decision on a by-case-basis. To get an educated guess please contact the course guidance.
Only diplomas of international accredited universities will be accepted. Non-academic, practical experience in computer science alone does not qualify you for our programme.
The German grading system ranges from 1 ("very good") to 6 ("insufficient"). Lower numbers mean better grades.
- To be eligible for our programme, the grades from your previous studies must be between 1 and 2.5.
- For a non-binding estimation on your eligibility you might want to check our grade converter.
Final grade conversion into the German system is done by uni-assist (cf. application procedure, so we cannot tell you bindingly if your GPA is sufficient.
English Language Proficiency
The medium of instruction for all required courses is English, some additional electives can be taken in German. Thus, we require international students a certain level of English proficiency such that studies can be undertaken successfully. Thus, a standardised language certificate is required – proof that your previous studies were held in English are not sufficient and not negiotiable. We accept three types of language proficiency certificates:
- a TOEFL result of at least 79 (internet based), 550 (paper based) or 213 (computer based)
- IELTS test with 6.5 points mininum
- Cambridge certificate at level B2 or higher (find an exam center)
IELTS 6.0 mapped to CEFR "B2" is not sufficient however. Proficiency of German language is not a requirement for application. However, additional elective courses are available in German, and we recommend to learn some basic German for daily life. Some hints on learning German can be found at Deutsche Welle.
Applicants need to supply a motivational letter. Please do not send lenghty standard letters describing your general interest in computer science and your appreciation of the German education system. Instead, refer only to our specific programme and follow these guidelines:
- Length should be between 150 and 300 words.
- The letter must be written in English.
- Specify what you learnt and found particularly interesting in your previous studies or practical experiences. Tell us how you want to deepen these previous experience in our master's programme. You can also describe what you expect to learn here for your future job. You should always refer to our curriculum, especially the module groups Foundations of Web Science, Major Subject Computer Science und Major Subject Web and Society. Make clear that you know our curriculum and point out why you have chosen our programme above others.