Web Information Retrieval[go to overview]
Summer Terms 2018
Information Retrieval (IR) is dealing with the storage, representation and management of information items. In a classical setting the information items correspond to text documents. With the advent of the World Wide Web, the methods of IR have been transferred to retrieval on the web. This poses different challenges and has spawned the area of Web Retrieval.
The lecture will give an introduction in established retrieval models for text based documents, models that exploit the graph structure of the WWW, the topic of evaluating the performance of retrieval systems and related tasks like classification and clustering of web documents.
Web Information Retrieval (6 ECTS-Credits) is a lecture given in English that
- is a mandatory course for master students of Web Science
- can be taken as an elective course by bachelor and master students of Informatik and Computervisualistik, and by master students of Wirtschaftsinformatik and Information Management
- Re-Examination will be held on November 06 (Tuesday), 2018 from 18:00 hrs onwards at E-011
- The Final Examination will be held on July 30 (Monday), 2018 from 13:00 hrs onwards at D-028
- The lectures will start on April 16th, 18:00.
- To form groups: https://ist.uni-koblenz.de/teams/en/user/registration/682388ea-356f-4d44-b4af-234428a18157
|Assignment 1, PDF||24.04.2018||Solution 1||(24 & 27).04.2018|
|Assignment 2, PDF||08.05.2018||Solution 2||(08 & 11).05.2018|
|Assignment 3, PDF||15.05.2018||Solution 3||(15 & 18).05.2018|
|Assignment 4, PDF||22.05.2018||Solution 4||28.05.2018|
|Assignment 5, PDF||05.06.2018||Solution 5||(05 & 08).06.2018|
|Assignment 6, PDF||19.06.2018||Solution 6||22.06.2018|
|Assignment 7, PDF||26.06.2018||Solution 7||(26 & 29).06.2018|
|Assignment 8, PDF||03.07.2018||Solution 8||03.07.2018|
The SVN repository to submit your assignments is: https://svn.uni-koblenz.de/westteaching/ir-ss18/GROUPNAME
Replace GROUPNAME with your group name in lower case letters. Please remember to have your assignments in different folders under "solutions".
Slides and additional material will be provided along with the progress of the lecture.
|16.04.2018||Organization (PDF) Introduction to IR (PPT) (PDF)|
|30.04.2018||Evaluation Methods (PPT) (PDF)|
|04.05.2018||Boolean Model (PPT) (PDF)|
|14.05.2018||Vector Space Model (PPT) (PDF)|
|21.05.2018||Probabilistic Language Model (PPT) (PDF)|
|11.06.2018||Web Search Characteristics (PPT) (PDF)|
|18.06.2018||Web Crawling (PPT) (PDF)|
|25.06.2018||PageRank (PPT) (PDF)|
|06.07.2018||User interfaces, Visualizations, Eyetracking (PPT) (PDF)|
|06.07.2018||Multimedia Retrieval (PDF)|
It is highly recommended that you follow a textbook while taking the lecture. The textbooks are probably able to address the most question you might have about the content of the lecture:
- Introduction to Information Retrieval. Manning, Raghavan, Schütze, Cambridge University Press, 2008.
Free, electronic versions available at http://informationretrieval.org/
- Web Data Mining. Liu. Springer, 2007.
- Modern Information Retrieval. Baeza-Yates, Ribeiro-Neto, ACM Press, 2012.
Students need to accomplish at least 50% of the assignments in order to attend the final exam. Plagiarism is strictly forbidden and will result in disqualification from the final exam, on both sides of the plagiarism (copying and being copied). Students are also expected to explain some of the assignments.
Last Year Students
Students who failed to secure passing grades last year can directly appear for the examinations this year. However, it is advisable to participate in the course and the tutorials.
The Final Examination will be held on July 30 (Monday), 2018 from 13:00 hrs onwards at D-028
- Lecturer: Dr. Chandan Kumar
- Mondays, 18:00 - 20:00, E 313
- Instructor: Korok Sengupta
- Tuesday, 12:00 - 14:00, C 206
- Friday, 10:00 - 12:00, E 313
- You don't need to come to both slots for the tutorial. We will cover the same material on Tuesdays and Fridays.
If you ever have any questions or want to discuss something about the lecture or the assignments, feel free to ask
- your colleagues
- in our Facebook group (Don't worry if you don't have/want Facebook, joining this group is by no means required, all news will be published here.)
- the teachers via e-mail